Tuesday 18 September 2012

What is School for Poppa?

Rowan started Kindergarten last week.

"That was super fun Dad," she said after her first day. "I loved playing with all the kids."

As I was walking her to the doors this morning, she looked up at me and said, "What is School for Poppa?"

(Pause) "What a great question," I replied. And then I did what any great parent does who doesn't know the answer.

"What do you think?"

"I don't know," she says. "I can't figure that out."

"Well," I said, "maybe you could find out the answer today at school. Try asking your teacher."

When I picked her up this afternoon, and we went for a little hike on the way home, I checked in if she'd remembered the question.

"Yes Dad. Why do we go to school? That's the question."

"Great. And what did you find out?"

"Nothing." she says.

"Did you ask your teacher?" I say.

"Oh yes. She doesn't know." (Pause)
Rowan looks up at me. "She REALLY doesn't know Dad. Really."

"Well, what do you think?" I said.

"I think we should stop talking about this and look for frogs."





1 comment:

  1. I'm glad the teacher didn't know. :) i'm especially glad she didn't say something like, "it's for crushing life's mysteries with your brain, now get back to the sorting center". :P

    it all made me think of this :
    https://vimeo.com/39503892

    "not enjoyment and not sorrow is our destined end or way
    but to act that each tomorrow finds us further than today"

    That's what the poem says, but getting that soaring air on a mtb sure looks like enjoyment, and the crash looks like agony. and if it rained tomorrow, that rider really wouldn't be any further along, trying to land those jumps in the slick. In the end what i think i understand poet wordsworth and rowan to mean, is just go and try some stuff and try to make it good, and maybe you'll spot a frog, or spark some other inspired serendipity. footprints on the sands of time blah blah blah. ;)

    ReplyDelete