Thursday 13 December 2012

Tattoo

You know those things you've always wanted to do, but never quite get to them. Those dreams that we talk about, ruminate over, explore like a kid in an apple orchard, jumping up, up, but not quite reaching the fruit. I had this idea of making a movie about tattoo stories. The stories behind the tattoo. Why it's there. Why did that person put that thing on themselves? Where did the idea come from. What's the meaning. The source. Tattoo like a window into someone's life, their stories, where they came from, who they were in that moment, who they are, who they've become. 

So I found myself in one of these conversations about tattoos after a yoga class. What's your story? And she told me, and it was so beautiful, and moving, and incredible. "I've always wanted to make a movie about tattoo stories." "Well, I'm in," she says. "Oh.... Ok. Well, let's do it. Let's book the interview, and I'll figure out what I'm doing in the meantime." So we booked a time in the yoga studio two Fridays from that day. And I really had no idea how I was going to pull off an interview. What camera I was going to use. Sound? 

The Wednesday before the interview, a volunteer arrived at our doorstep from Helpex named Ignacio. He was from Spain, wanted to help out and learn English, and he was a film-maker! "That's good," I said, "because we have an interview in two days!" He had an HD camera, and a microphone. Serendipity indeed. So over the last month, we navigated our way through the two languages and cultures, and spoke with five amazing people, who shared their stories, their hopes, fears, and dreams. And here it is ... Tattoo.

6 comments:

  1. Such an awesome story (and film!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jaye. It's opened up so many connections with people in the community.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work Mike. All of it. Especially the part where you get to reach up and finally grab that apple.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everyone is so gorgeous! Really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jon and I just watched your doc. Awesome! And love the story behind the film - setting an intention and watching the pieces fall into place.

    ReplyDelete