Tuesday 3 July 2012

Biting the apple

I have not put away the laundry for 6 months. I take it off the line. I take it out of the dryer. And I pile it. Higher. And higher it goes. Until it is teetering. Waiting. To be put away. At first, I thought the block was not knowing where everything went. "Just guess," says Mary. "Guess!?" But what if I put Sikhona's dress in Rowan's drawer!? "Just guess." And so I did. I tried that. Guessing. And it worked. Cut through. The wanting things to be in their rightful boxes. Getting it right. Because then I am a good person. A good sorter. Organizer. House wife. A good house wife. House wife? And then I realized, I don't put the laundry away because it tells me who I am. If I put those clothes away, I am house wife. And who am I if I am not teacher. Who am I? Who are we? I am my job. I am in charge. I am the buildings and fields, and students, joy, stress, laughter, busyness, sadness. Without those things, I am left with a space. And then I am clothes sorter, dish doer, diaper changer, baby-giggler, uppy puppy daughter carrier, breakfast maker, more dish doer, dinner maker, more dish doer, dirty clothes collector, washing machine stuffer, diaper changer, toy picker-upper, tornado chaser, wet clothes hanger-upper and taker-downer. But not sorter. It is putting away that somehow stamps me as stay-at-home. And I am resistant. Thirty five years of school. 80% of my life in school. And then Not. Then I am Dad. I am house-dad. Vinegar and baking soda are my weapons. And I love it. Absolutely love it. And yet, "I am not that." I am the breadwinner. I am the guy who goes away and "works" and comes home. I am all those things that surround me. And yet, I am not. I am none of those things outside. They are reflections. I am the space in between. The source. To create. Who I am. Who I can be. Who I will be. And now I sort. I put the clothes away. I know where they go. And I'm good at it, god damn it. A good clothes puter-awayer. This circus act. We are jugglers. Crazy circus performers on unicycles on a tightrope over Niagara Falls, with 8 bowling pins, 4 knives, a hatchet, 1 apple, and 12 wet diapers. And I revel in it. Especially choosing the right time to bite.








4 comments:

  1. guelfspokenword.com
    It's a dare.
    Try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the last three lines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in. Poetry Slam. Sat. July 21st 7pm. Ebar. Love the dare Twoey. You do push well my lady. Anyone else want to come?
    guelphspokenword.com

    ReplyDelete