Tuesday 6 March 2012

Why 50?

Why fifty conversations? When I mentioned I was going through a major life transition, it was suggested by a teacher of mine to commit to having a # of conversations in a limited amount of time. It gets you out of your head and into dialogue. So I picked 50 in two weeks. It was crazy, fantastic, exhausting, exhilarating, painful, uncomfortable, inspiring. Because I had to cram in the conversations, I found myself chatting with the guy I bought my second-hand washer, the farmer we buy our raw food for our dog. Suddenly I was open to the possibility of what someone could offer, anyone, everyone. And it gathered it's own momentum, so that conversations just kept flowing, happening, in all kinds of places, some super short, some lengthy. All about what I'm going to do with my life. I've been teaching high school for 14 years now, and the decision was, do I go back? Or do I create a life here in Guelph, allow something to emerge out of this life, avoid the commute, start our own business? Write children's books? Something to do with backyard chickens? Selling stuff? Teaching? Providing experiences, what experiences. Who am I as not-teacher. Entrepreneur. Attached to what. To whom. Separate self from work. Integrate work and family. How to balance? Aha, the next 50 conversations is this question. I commit to having 50 conversations by the end of March on how to balance life and income. Cool.

3 comments:

  1. woah, are you still having these conversations? i think i need to have one with you.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As one of your old students I hope you do decide to go back. I hope you know the effect that the program had on our lives and that you had on our lives. Whatever your decision is I hope you are well, and wish you the best in the future. Thank-you for aiding me in the process of becoming the woman that I am today, the Bronte Creek Project is where I really started to grow up. I can't imagine BCP without you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I'm in that place now like you were at the end of BCP. Powerful experiences sit in our memories and shape who we are and who we become, and we want to preserve those reflections in tact, hold people connected. And yet there is a life to a program, a living entity that shifts and evolves, grows, matures, even dies, and becomes something else. Brings up our crazy relationship with change and sameness, wanting to hold on, willing to let go, allowing each of us to grow into who we are, and give to the world what we can, powerfully, in all the different ways and different places that can be.

    ReplyDelete