Saturday 24 March 2012

Clark Kent

I just got something. Superior me. I am better than you. That part of me that holds on to control by sitting higher. A pedestal above. I know and you don't. AND I will fix you. I know the answers and can solve you. And when I do, I will be known as the fixer, the guy who solved you, the one to see to become un-broken. As a teacher, I used this to manage, to control, to keep the peace, to keep things in place, to maintain order. And yet, what if I give up this holy role, this looking down? Who am i if I am not better, not in control? Out of control. Out of reach, tailspinning, free fall. Or not. Grounded in who I am, who I can be outside of that control. Empowered to ask questions from a different place, a place of knowing and not knowing, a place of wonder and possibility, a space for creativity, for creating and exploring without judgement and assessment. As of course, you are not broken. There is no fixing. You are not a leaking tap to be maintained. I am not a handyman for your soul. I get it. And I am sad. Sad as if a friend is leaving. That part of me wilting, disappearing, losing its hold, its power. Sad in change, in my relationship to change, to loss, of who I thought I was, who was me. Who am I now?

2 comments:

  1. I understand the "above" feeling. And yet I have to comment on the WAY you taught and I imagine STILL teach albeit not with payment from a board of education. You teach with great humility, understanding, sensitivity, and genuine care for your learners. I think maybe one can be both - want control and be accustomed to the feeling of being "above" and also provide the kind of leadership that allows your learners to blossom. Although you are leaving a life's work that did not work for your life, you will remain for me, one of the most inspirational educators. This leader/teacher/mentor - sharer of the wonder of life and of learning - will always be Michael Craig. That energy will find a new path - like the river that finds a different course - it's still a river but flowing differently...and it sounds like you'll be doing it without the need for control or "sitting higher".

    I'm loving that you are sharing your journey with "us" this way.


    JJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this piece because it's an unapologetic window onto one aspect of your soul/psyche/persona. You've taken ego by the balls and reminded it who's actually in charge. Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete